Friday, August 15, 2008

" I could never be a veggie"

People who know me know never to say “I could never give up meat”. They know they’ll get some ugly rant from me where I end up sweating and spitting when I talk. Why? Because that statement is just a pathetic attempt to avoid taking responsibility for what you put in your mouth.

When a person says this they are claiming that they could not survive without meat and therefore should never attempt to try a healthier, more humane, and environmentally friendly diet.

I have yet to hear of any person that physically cannot survive without flesh. Of course we’ve all ‘had a friend that went vegan and got violently ill.’ Let’s get two things straight:

1. That’s probably not true.

2. If it is true, then your friend is a complete moron and probably did no research before they cut everything out at once. (Step by step people!)
What should be said is “I don’t want to ever try changing my habits that have a disastrous ripple effect on everything that lives”.

Eating meat is an environmental, social, animal cruelty, and health epidemic. Some people argue that if it’s that horrendous then why we don’t hear more about it. Well, how long did it take for the world to realize that smoking had dire consequences? The meat industry is the current tobacco industry. Don’t believe me? Do some research, just don’t try telling me you could never give it up because I might find I could never give up throwing vegetables at anyone who buys from hot dog stands.

No comments: