Friday, November 12, 2010

An Idealist

I've been called an idealist a couple of times this past month and although both times it was claimed to be a compliment, I've decided that it's actually insulting.

Idealists have a couple of definitions:

1. a person who cherishes or pursues high or noble principles, purposes, goals, etc.
2. a visionary or impractical person.
3. a person who represents things as they might or should be rather than as they are.
4. a writer or artist who treats subjects imaginatively.
5. a person who accepts the doctrines of idealism (the tendency to represent things in their ideal forms, rather than as they are)

I believe that by dismissing me as an idealist, one can easily dismiss whatever I say as impractical or unreasonable. I know from a lifetime of experience that the majority of people I encounter believe in many of the ideals that I do but don't practice those beliefs with their everyday decisions. Any vegan will tell you that people regularly say "good for you, but I could never give up meat"- again this immediately dismisses themselves of any responsibility because they've claimed it's impossible. End of story.

I also don't think I'm an idealist because I'm able to practice my ideals and beliefs daily. I would be an idealists if I preached the benefits of church and daily sermons but never got out of bed in time for mass.

Call me arrogant, self righteous, or even misguided but I am not an idealist.

No comments: